Stroud Brewery is seeking an energetic and versatile individuals for various roles in our venue.
We are a dedicated organic brewery with a mission is to make outstanding beer without damaging the planet and bring people together to inspire positive change. We have a policy to serve organic and/or local, forging relationships with local suppliers and offering changing seasonal dishes.
Join our motley crew of innovators, enablers, artists, gastro creators and social groovers; it is their disruptive ideas and enthusiasm which makes Stroud Brewery the company we are today. We are a living wage employer we pay people fairly for the value their knowledge and skills add to our company.
Stroud voted (once again) best place to live in the UK!
Direct line staff:
Place of work:
Kingfisher Business Park, GL5 2BY
To oversee all operations of the Stroud Brewery bar. To meet agreed revenue and profit targets whilst maintaining exceptional quality of service to our customers and a safe and fulfilling workplace for our staff.
We are looking for a Bar Manager with an eye for detail and a level of empathy that considers the diverse needs of our customers and staff, who through example and training will help shape the “culture” of Stroud Brewery.
Welcoming all, our Bar Manager will share our mission “to bring people together and inspire positive change”.
Stroud Brewery is an equal opportunities employer and is a B Corps Business
Working with the Managing Director to improve the company’s procedures, standards or policies while sticking to our ethos and regulatory guidelines.
Working very closely with the Venue Manager to maintain a high standard quality of service to our customers and a safe and fulfilling workplace for our staff.
The responsibilities of the Bar Manager include:
- Recruitment (in conjunction with Venue Manager) and daily management of a knowledgeable team of bar staff
- Liaise with the Venue Manager on a weekly basis to schedule bar staff to ensure required level of staffing is maintained for the bar, events and the farmers market
- Staff appraisals, training matrix and mentoring, including identifying suitable external training courses
- Provided any internal training as required, either personally or in conjunction with other departments, to ensure bar supervisors and staff are competent within their roles.
- Approve holiday and absence requests and return to work interviews
- Provide absence cover for Venue Manager
- Liaise with the Venue Manager to ensure stock and bar staff requirements for upcoming events are met.
- Deliver occasional tours and beer tastings
Health & Safety:
- Licencing - ensuring the safety of the public:
- Risk assessments
- Method Statements
- In conjunction with the Managing Director develop the business plan for the bar
- Product range and stock management - showcasing a range of organic food and drink whilst controlling costs
- Environment - Seek to meet agreed targets on resource use and waste. Staff awareness and training.
- Systems - Establishing, documenting, evaluating, improving and maintaining operating procedures (e.g cash management,, health & safety, team training, fire safety etc.)
- Responsibility for maintaining the EPOS till system and the various apps used, i.e. Hopt, in conjunction with the software providers.
- Liaise with the Head Chef to ensure menus are updating and correctly priced on the EPOS system, website, apps and handouts.
- To ensure that legal and company requirements are adhered to in respect of Hygiene, Health & Safety, Employment Law, and Food Safety Law for all staff, visitors and customers
- Maximise revenue and profitability:
- Meet agreed sales targets for the bar
- Managing suppliers
- Managing wastage
- Strong back of house knowledge including stock management, cost controlling, financials, plus license and other legislative requirements
- To maintain agreed GP% levels by ensuring prices reflect any changes in costs.
- Investigate and implement ways of increasing the SPH
- Review cost of sales and to reduce costs where possible
- To build and maintain key working relationships with external suppliers to maintain cost price of stock, negotiate free stock and POS
- Management of bar stock to reduce losses to a minimum
- Maintaining accurate records of all stock
- Submitting monthly stock returns to Finance on the first working day of the following month
- Stock replenishment and cost control
- Ensure Stroud Brewery is represented at Stroud Farmers Market
- Ensure cash and pricing control
Other tasks as required
Due to the changing nature of work practices, or for operational, commercial or technical reasons, it is accepted that the company reserves the right to make changes to individual job descriptions as necessary.
- Experience of a similar sized bar
- Previous team management and development experience, including conflict resolution and mediation
- Experience of supplier and consumer relationship building
- Previous working knowledge of ordering apps and till systems
- Successful development and management of a bar
- Excellent communication, both written and verbal
- Personal Licence holder
- Full Clean Driving Licence
- Computer literate - Google for business, spreadsheets etc
- Interest in beer
- Shared ethos
- Working knowledge of audio visual tech
Please apply online by completing this form.
Applications will ONLY be accepted this way.
- A short CV/resume
- A covering letter outlining why you are interested in the post, and how you meet the specifications for the role